In a world that increasingly values specialisation and niche expertise, it can be easy to feel pressure to pick a narrow field and become an expert in it. But what if that’s not what you want? What if you’re someone who craves variety and loves to learn new things?
As a generalist, you have a wide range of skills and knowledge that can be applied to many different areas. When it comes to marketing your business, you may be wondering how to communicate the value of your diverse expertise to potential clients.
Tips for Being A Generalist
Here are a few tips for marketing your business as a generalist:
- Focus on the benefits: Instead of just listing your skills and areas of expertise, focus on how they can benefit your clients. What problems can you solve? How can you help them achieve their goals? By highlighting the value, you bring to the table, you’ll be more likely to attract clients who appreciate the breadth of your experience.
- Be strategic: While being a generalist can be an advantage, it’s important to be strategic about how you market yourself. Instead of trying to appeal to everyone, focus on a specific niche or industry where your skills are particularly valuable. This will help you stand out in a crowded marketplace and position yourself as an expert in your chosen field.
- Use case studies and testimonials: To demonstrate your expertise and build trust with potential clients, consider sharing case studies and testimonials from previous clients. This will show that you have a track record of delivering results and can help to overcome any concerns that clients may have about your breadth of experience.
- Leverage social media: social media can be a powerful tool for generalists, as it allows you to showcase your range of skills and interests in a more personal and engaging way. Consider creating content that highlights your diverse expertise, such as blog posts, videos, or social media posts that showcase your various projects and interests.
- Network strategically: Finally, don’t underestimate the power of networking. By connecting with others in your industry or niche, you can build relationships and find new opportunities to showcase your skills. Attend industry events, join online communities, and reach out to others in your field to build your network and expand your reach.
The Power of Being A Generalist
Being a generalist can be a powerful asset in marketing your business. By focusing on the benefits, being strategic, using case studies and testimonials, leveraging social media, and networking strategically, you can position yourself as a valuable partner for clients across a range of industries and niches.
Want to know if being a generalist is something that will suit you? Contact Cathy and have a chat to see if it will work for you.